Coronavirus Vaccination Programme for Bedford
Update 26th May 2021
GP surgeries in Bedford continue to focus on booking appointments for second doses for patients that we vaccinated the first time around. So if you were vaccinated at Kings House or at the Temple for your first vaccination, then we can book you for your second vaccination. Please only call your practice if we can help you to book your second appointment, from 8 weeks onwards.
If you had your first vaccination at any other location, please call 119 to make your second appointment, as we cannot make your appointment via the practice.
If you are trying to make your first appointment there are now 5 different options:
1) contact 119
2) use the national booking portal www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
3) book an appointmentat *http://www.bedford.gov.uk/vaccinations* which will book an appointment at Kings House or at the Temple, where there are new 1st appointments available
4) or you can phone 01234 718077 – which is for appointments at Kings House or at the Temple, where there are new 1st appointments available
5) if you are aged 40 or over you can drop into Bedford Heights, without an appointment between 8:30 and 3pm each day
Update 30th April 2021
GP surgeries in Bedford are no longer routinely booking first dose vaccination appointments, as the service has moved on to delivering second doses for those patients that we vaccinated the first time around.
If you are newly eligible in the age groups 40-49, you will only be able to book your vaccination through the national booking portal www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ or by calling 119.
If you are not able to have the AstraZeneca vaccination, the BLMK Clinical Commissioning Group are currently working to source alternative vaccinations, and as yet the plan for this has not been finalised. Once we know what the arrangements are, we will be able to let you know. This will be relevant to patients that should be vaccinated now but are aged under 30, pregnant, or have other clinical indications that a contra-indicated for the AZ vaccination.
Update 24th March 2021
As of 24th March, GP surgeries in Bedford will no longer be routinely booking in first dose coronavirus vaccine appointments, as the service is now moving to deliver second doses. If you believe you are eligible for a first dose due to age (over 50 years) or identified as at risk, please contact your GP practice as soon as possible to book an appointment.
If you have previously declined the vaccination, you can still take the vaccination offer up. Please phone us if you have changed you mind, and we will book your appointment.
- Kings House Conference Centre on Ampthill Road, MK42 9AZ
- Guru Nanak Gurdwara Temple on Ford End Road, Queens Park, MK40 4JX
Making Your Decision
To help you make your decision to have the Covid-19 vaccination, this video clip that was shown on TV on 18th February may be useful:
These are the defined groups by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, and are referred to as groups or cohorts.
Some do’s and don’ts
- Please arrive at the time of your appointment – not too early or late, as this is a complicated process and timing is going to be a challenge.
- Please wear a short sleeved top under your coat, so that the vaccination team have easy access to your arm.
- You will need to wear a face mask or covering.
- Please attend on your own, unless you need someone with you for support, to minimise the number of people present.
- Be prepared for this to take a little time – as you will have a 15 minute monitoring period after your vaccination, so you will not be leaving straight away.
- If you have any Covid-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- You must have a 4 week gap between a covid positive test or covid symptoms and having your vaccination.